Prison Law Advice and Representation
Imprisonment can be scary, confusing and very upsetting, both for prisoners and their loved ones. Understanding how the prison system works and what rights prisoners have can make all the difference to someone who had been imprisoned, helping to protect their wellbeing and make sure they are treated fairly.
At ABR Solicitors, our highly experienced team regularly advises and represents prisoners and their loved ones. We can answer your questions in plain English and work closely with your to effectively deal with any issues a prisoner is facing.
Our prison lawyers can assist with matters including:
- Parole Board reviews
- Prisoners’ rights
- Prison transfers
- Re-categorisation of prisoners
- Complaints about the treatment of prisoners
- Prisoner disciplinary proceedings/Adjudications
- Sentence calculation
- Adjudication proceedings
We can represent clients on a Legal Aid basis where eligible, as well as taking on privately funded cases.
Our prison lawyers are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and can be at your side whenever you need us.
With decades of experience navigating the prison system and all aspects of prison law, our team can provide effective advice and representation for even the most complicated and challenging legal issues.
Jo Davidson is an LAA Accredited Prison Law Supervisor who has worked in criminal law since 2006. Clients and their family members tell us that they particularly appreciate Jo’s common sense, straight talking and proactive approach.
Independent recognition for our expertise includes:
- Best Specialist Criminal Law Firm –England (Legal Awards 2019)
- Criminal law firm of the year-England (Lawyer International legal 100 awards 2019)
- Ranked Tier 1 for General Crime and Tier 2 for Fraud in Yorkshire and the North East by the Legal 500
- Ranked Band 1 for Crime and Band 2 for Financial Crime by Chambers & Partners
How our prison law advice has helped prisoners and their families
Examples of the way our prison law experts have helped clients include:
- Following an Oral Hearing, we secured the release of a Category A recalled prisoner who was facing Crown Court proceedings in respect of GBH with intent x 2.
- Following an Oral Hearing, we secured the release of an 18+ year post tariff lifer, directly from closed conditions.
- We secured the release of a lifer, who had been returned from open to closed conditions directly from closed conditions.
- We secured the grant of category D status for a client who was well over 2 years away from his conditional release date.
- We have achieved numerous successful applications under the Guittard Ruling.